Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Rambling Reflections

Hey everybody! I know it's been a while since I have really blogged anything. Life has been busy and I am sure that there were things that I could've told all of you but I just didn't feel like it so you'll have to just bear with my moods :) I am writing right now from one of the ski lodges at Holiday Valley (where Curtiss works). This is the second time that I have come with Curtiss when he headed to work and hung out in the lodge while he works and then we ski when he finishes.
Hanging out ALL day in a lodge??? you might ask, how boring. Actually it's not that bad and I kinda have fun doing nothing but reading or writing all day and the fact that Curtiss is near by and depending on what lift he is working at can pop in now and then makes it nice too:) Right now I can look out the window and see him swing chairs around as people get in them and head up the hill with theirs skis or boards. Who would've thought that when Mom and Dad got ski passes for all of us for a few years while I was growing and developing a love of "strapping two sticks to my feet and going down a hill" (as some people say:) would play into my life now? I mean I never would've thought that I would marry some one that works at a ski resort and that I could ski just as much as I wanted for free? Life is so fun, I have been so awed lately how different things from my childhood have played into my life now and prepared me for what I am doing now. Skiing is just a very small thing, just a bonus but it just impresses in me an even stronger belief that the Lord directs every one of our steps and nothing is done without a reason. This last Sunday Curtiss and I visited one of our supporting churches and gave them an update about the work in Romania and when we were done Curtiss asked me how it was and whether I liked feeling like I was on display (it could've been really disconcerting since last time Curtiss was there he wasn't married so of course everyone is interested in the newest "member") and I thought about it and realized that I hadn't felt uncomfortable at all and I figured it was because it wasn't new to me. Growing up as a pastors daughter and going to countless conferences that Dad either spoke at or organized where I helped in any way I could whether it was running the book table or just talking with people when they had questions. No, it wasn't in the exact same role or reason but it wasn't new and it prepared me to handle my new role of "missionary wife" without too much trepidation:). I know that this post is kinda rambling and it is finishing far different from where it started with sitting in a ski lodge, I hope that it is understandable if it's not then please disregard and just know that I know what I am trying to say:). Sometimes when I sit down to write I surprise myself, I had no idea that this post was going to head this way when I started but it is what I have been thinking about and sometimes writing helps me define exactly what I am feeling and going through. So thanks for letting me ramble it has made me feel better and I hope that it encourages you too. Just remember that nothing happens by chance and you never know how what you are going through now will play into your future, even if it is something as small as skiing with your family all those years ago...

3 comments:

Trina said...

Joanna, it was fun to read this after our conversation this morning. I think you expressed yourself very well, and I love the whole idea behind this 'ramble'. God is indeed sovereign and creative.

Anonymous said...

It was nice to hear from you again Joanna!!I have missed your stories.

Elise said...

I love rambling posts. Reading them is like sitting and talking face to face. They feel so personable even though I am just sitting in front of a computer screen. And your rambles made perfect sense to me, but maybe it is because I am a girl, and I am related. ;)