Friday, April 3, 2009

My Cowboy

A few years ago my in-laws gave Curtiss a leather vest from Romania for his birthday.
There was just one problem with it, the vest was several inches wider than he was and they were never able to find anyone who was willing to work with the leather, so he has never been able to wear it.
After our engagement his mom asked me if I had ever worked with leather and told me about the vest, and shortly after our wedding Curtiss asked me the same thing.
I told them that I had never made anything out of leather before but I could take a look at it and see if it was something that I thought that I could do. My biggest concern was that my sewing machine wouldn't be able to go through the leather.




The leather was thin and very flexible, so after getting a leather needle and heavy duty thread from Joann's, and being told multiple times that I couldn't make it any worse than it was since he couldn't wear it as is anyway, I gave it a try.




I picked apart the seams several weeks ago but due to our schedule and needing Curtiss around so that I could fit it to him I wasn't able to actually sew it until today




Some parts were easier and some harder than I had at first expected but it is now done and if you don't look too closely at the side seams where my poor machine groaned over the thick material, it doesn't look too bad.



And if you put a very handsome man in it who is tipping his hat at you then you really don't notice the mistakes in the vest. :)

7 comments:

Trina said...

Hooray! It's finished! I just thought today that I wanted to ask you how your project was going. The last picture really does set the vest off to good advantage.
Good job - I knew you could do it.

Curtiss said...

hmmm, seems that I know this cowboy, but where's his cowgirl???

Rachel said...

Hooray! Good job Joanna!!!! And your cowboy does look rather dashing in the vest and hat......

Rachel said...

Oh and I just noticed! Is that a pistol in the pocket? lol

Elise said...

What a very dashing cowboy! Hooray for you Joanna! Great job on the vest, it looks awesome!

Abbey said...

The vest looks wonderful Joanna!! The pistol is really cool!!

Rachel said...

I love love love the new collage!!!!! :) I would change mine every few days but that takes time...sadly!