Sunday, July 6, 2008

Eat, Eat

Well it's been a busy week with English classes on Thursday, shopping trips and another picnic.
Classes went really well and the kids don't seem to be to shy around me;)
The youngest kids seem to really enjoy their time here and their favorite thing has become a song that some of you will recognize (I don't know how to spell it so you will just have to sound it out) Waddelly Atcha. They love it and when I go outside they ask me how it goes again;)
Friday I went with Curtiss to do the grocery shopping, it seems that you need experience doing such things here:) you never know what you will or won't find so it makes it exciting. They keep threatening to make me do the shopping and cooking by myself for a while which would be most interesting as I would have no idea what to make! If any of you have any ideas of things to make while in Romania using Romanian products and unsure of getting the supplies you need please let me know, I will gladly take any tips or recipes.
Last night (Saturday) we had a picnic with the lady that the Archers call their Romanian grandmother, she is in very poor health and because of that actually accepts help. So we brought the salad, the potatoes and the dessert, and her son got and cooked the meat so the meal was very good and I at least got out of it with out overly stuffing myself, though part way through the meal I wondered...
We got there about six and they had just started the wood fire where they were going to fry the meat. Ionny (Johnny), Grandma Veres's son, invited us into the house to wait for the meat to cook. The house is quite small and you walk into the kitchen where every one had gathered so I was standing at the door way just watching and listening to what was going on around me when I felt hands pushing on my shoulders propelling me into the room and into everyone in front of me, it was Ionny being a good host and getting me to a seat, he had me, Mrs Archer and Curtiss sit down on the couch in his room (it's the only room on the bottom floor besides the kitchen) We stayed in there laughing for a while and then one of the daughters asked us if we wanted a drink to tide us over until we ate and if we wanted it in the room or to sit outside, we preferred the outside as it was very pleasant out there and the room that we were in smelled like cigarette smoke, and I don't think it would much matter whether we wanted a drink or not we would've gotten one;) Ionny tried to get me to eat more then my share by telling Curtiss to just fill my plate as I would probably be to shy to do it myself and he said I was just playing with my food, a statement that I beg to differ I was eating but slowly as eating very small bites and chewing slowly is part of my strategy to leaving the table without being unpleasantly full. The food was delicious, we had chicken and steak along with what I already told you that we brought. All in all we had a great time, I thoroughly enjoy life here with all the people and their hospitality:)
I think that brings you all up to speed on what I have been doing, and gives you another taste of Romanian culture. Until next time, this is Joanna H- signing off:)

4 comments:

Trina said...

Joanna! Teaching Waddelly Atcha to your English students!?!? Don't you think that will just confuse them? I can hear it now - a little romanian child announcing he knows a song in English, and belting out that gibberish while pinching his nose and clapping! I sense the teacher has a sense of humor! LOL

Traci said...

I just think that this must be an awesome experience for you and such a great challenge of the spirit to adapt to not only being far from "your world" but also to be in a world so distinctly different. Those kids are blessed by you, I'm sure.

Rachel said...

Oh my word!!! I think it's a riot that you taught them waddelly atcha!!! That's so funny...especially since I have just started getting the hang of it and always laugh uproariously throughout the entire time I attempt it!!! hahaha!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow teaching English must be very frustrating at times.Here in Binghamton we have a lot of children in the school I work at that don't speak English.I get so frustrated trying to talk to them. They are a joy though and do catch on rather quickly!!
Everything sounds so exciting.I find myself thinking that you are in a different time period or something.I bet you appreciate the missionary books we have read like Gladis Alwards ( I can't remember how to spell her name,oops) story so much more now.
Please keep the posts coming!!