Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Brain Power

This last Sunday Curtiss and I were scheduled to speak about Romania and what our plans are for returning there at a church about half an hour from our home. So Saturday was get everything ready day. My husband and in-laws spoke at this church once last year so the folks there knew a little bit about Romania and the work there but not near as much as some of the other churches that we have been to so we wanted to be able to bring a little bit extra in the way of "show and tell" so to speak. People love pictures and that is the best way on earth to help people understand some thing that they have never experienced for themselves.
So while Curtiss worked on a slide show I started digging around for some poster boards that my mother in law had made for previous churches that they had visited. And I found some, slight problem though, all of them were several years old and the village that was shown in them isn't even the same village that we work in now. "No biggy" I thought, "we just got some pictures developed from this last summer, I'll quickly make a new one" HA,HA,HA. Have you ever noticed that whenever you think some thing will be easy and quick it ends up being just the opposite?
I have worked on several different picture boards in the past and they aren't hard so whats the big problem?
Well, I am not one to just take a few pictures and tape them on some card board and call it done.
I don't like to go some where and hope that no one finds out that I made "THAT" horrid monstrosity. In order to have some that that you're not ashamed of is to have some materials to work with that give subtle but dynamic details and that is exactly what I didn't have.
after looking around for a little while I found a good sturdy box that would work well for a base, now all I needed was some paper to cover it and give me a nice background.
We only had white paper. I didn't have anything to use for a background or for backing the pictures themselves, no crayons or markers nothing to add some contrast to the board.
I started getting visions in my head of an "asylum" picture board,
white walls, white clothes, white everything except a little splotch of color here and there where you saw the hands and face of the doctor :)
So I started thinking, there had to be something around that I could use. And this is what I came up with...



The background is a table cloth that was made in Romania that I taped to the card board.
The picture of Romania that is in the center my wonderful Husband printed for me and any of the backings that you see I made myself with a red pen and a permanent marker. O and a red envelope that clashed with the red in the table cloth but if put next to the picture and then put with another layer of white it didn't look to bad.
I was like completely brain dead by the time I finished but it was done, simple but done :)

6 comments:

Jeremy said...

I like it. I think the table cloth as a background is great - it ads texture and is more than just some "nice color".

Rachel said...

Bravo! Creativity abounds! It looks amazing! I love it! (And I know about the whole brain dead thing...sometimes when I'm working on stuff I'm just like 'time for a break!"

Anonymous said...

Great job!!It looks really good.I love the use of the table cloth.Sometimes a good challenge can be fun.I hope you enjoyed doing it.

Hannah said...

Very nice! I read something once about how our generation doesn't know the meaning of "make do," as in, I don't have what I prefer to have but I can make something else work instead. I'm trying to use that philosophy more, and you definitely proved to be a good example in this scenario. Beautiful!

Trina said...

this is awesome! Bravo, Joanna, for being so creative! Will you bring it next time you come - I wan to see it in person.

vbnn vcc bmb,m

(that was a message from Claire, who is sitting on my lap as I type and looking very bug eyed at the computer keys.LOL)

Joanna said...

I actually took it all apart the next day since I didn't want the table cloth to get ruined. but if I remember to bring it all I still have everything for it and it wouldn't take long to put it all out as it was.

Tell Claire "Hi" for me and that I really enjoyed getting a message from her (don't forget to give her a kiss too)