Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Happy Hunter

The sun was low on the horizon as the man slowly crouched down to pick up his weapon. Cautiously so he didn't attract attention he took his aim and fired. BANG! the rock hit the side of the side of the building and bounced off to hit the target and the startled possum ran into the supposed safety of the barn...

You may be wondering what in the world I am talking about and some of you may be wondering if you want to but what is the point of a blog if not to share the every day events of our lives and to brag about one husband???
The other day when Curtiss got home from work I noticed that he was getting out of the car in a different way than normal. He was all crouched down behind the door of the car, it looked like he was either hurt or hiding from something. I couldn't see him well because of the car door so I didn't see him pick up a rock but I heard it as it hit the side of the barn and low and behold a possum goes ambling across the yard and into the barn. Curtiss quickly came inside and asked me to get him his gun and the hunt was on.

I could see him through the kitchen window as he moved around inside the barn looking for the fugitives hideout and it took him a little while to find it. I was moving around the house taking care of some things when I heard the first shot so I went to watch, I could tell that he knew where the possum was but couldn't get a good shot at it, later he told me that it was being a smart possum and playing dead but it didn't play long enough :)
It is amazing what you can tell by body movement, just by watching Curtiss I could tell just about what the possum was doing whether it was playing dead or moving into a better position for shooting:)
It didn't take too long for the possum to pull it's slightly bleeding self into range of the pistol and O the fun that my man had :)
BANG! BANG! BANG! the gun shots rang out as Curtiss stood there in his shooting stance, then BANG! BANG! BANG! and it was done. No doubt about it after getting shot seven times the possum was dead.

Now I know that some of you might not appreciate it all that much but I have to show you a picture of the happiest man alive as he brought out his kill to show his lady love :)

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh yay!!!!! I loved the story and the picture!!!! He looks very proud of his kill.....

Trina said...

congratulations, curtiss. My, he is a whopper of an possum!

Jeremy said...

that's a big one. is he going to have it mounted?

Abbey said...

That thing is HUGE!!!

Daniel said...

When my son makes manly noises, my chest swells with pride and I say "that's my boy!"

When I read this post, my chest swells with pride and I say "that's my bro!"

Is it as big as the possum I deliberately ran over on Old 17 headed toward Li-Lo-Li?

Elise said...

Wow! that thing is huge! It looks like it is almost half as big as I am. I am very glad that is not hanging around the barn anymore though, I would have hated to meet him when I was visiting. Phew! :: wipes forehead :: Now I don't have to worry about it, thanks to my darling brother-in-law. ;)

Joanna said...

No, Jeremy he can't have it mounted since it either came back to life and walked away or some other kind of animal enjoyed a good meal because it disappeared :(
I was kind of relieved because he didn't threaten to have it mounted but to have me cook it and it didn't look that appetizing to me :)

Anonymous said...

Father-in-law says, "When I grow up, I want to be just like Curtiss!"

Anonymous said...

it wasn't all that big I'd classify it as a "R.O.U.S." (rodent of usual size)