Friday, August 22, 2008

My Week

Hello everyone! I suppose you all think that I have abandoned you in this most exciting time, well if I have then I think you will pardon me as I have been what you might call busy. I think anyone who had a week like mine would be called busy, lets give you a run down...
As you all know Curtiss asked me to marry him last Thursday and after getting back from that and telling family and friends we got to business picking out a wedding date, "No prob!" you all say? Well lets just say it is harder then it looks. We spent three days trying to decide on the best day for everyone. First we considered the first of January but that didn't work very well for Mr and Mrs Archer coming back to Romania for the winter and it left the apartment here empty at the worst possible time not to mention all the elderly people that they help take care of here in the village. So our next option, the first part of December, cool time to get married but my sister in law is due for her second baby right around then so even if she hadn't had the baby yet she would be quite uncomfortable to be a bridesmaid and if she had had the baby she probably wouldn't be there at all so that was out. Then we moved to the first day of November that sounded good for about twenty four hours and we thought it was set and then we found out that Curtiss's nephew would most likely have surgery right around then, not sure when but some time in there, so out went November. Then we moved to the middle of October and after talking with my family and Curtiss's parents and brother we all thought that sounded good. Then we called the church and the date that we had thought of wasn't available but the week before was did we want it??? After a little talking and some prayer! we said "YES" and we had a date! Whoo that was easy:) After we said yes Curtiss told his mother that I was breathing for the first time in three days, I personally don't think that I was that bad but I was thinking about it quite a bit:) the wedding is on October 11th in Seneca Falls NY, in case any of you were wondering:)
Since then the emails have been flying back and forth between me and Trina (my wedding consultant, florist, and bridesmaid! Please give up a round of applause and if any of you see her before I do please give her a great big hug!) me and Elise (my maid of honor, the one who gets to answer all the questions about what I would like in my absence and the one that I email and say "Hey Elise could you do this for me? or could you look this up?" more applause and hugs please)
Plus emails to my other sister Bethany who has lots of good ideas and is handling (along with another friend, Thanks Jen!) my wedding favors. SO my week, three days of indecision where we at least got to talk about what we wanted after we had a date, and four days of emails sharing those ideas and answering all the questions. And now we have the whole thing just about planned. I think that I have to give a warning here; WARNING: Do not try this at home unless you have my wedding planner team behind you. I am going to give you a copy of part of an email that Trina sent me this morning that sums up what they have been doing for us.

I wish you could have been a fly on the wall when we were discussing this all with the salesman. :) Just telling people we're planning a wedding in 7 weeks is enough to get stares. Then you tell them the Bride and Groom aren't even in the country, and you have been doing most of the wedding planning over IM - that's when they begin to gasp. "IMing? you've been IMing?!" the salesman was astounded. But we really got a reaction when he heard I was the wedding planner, the florist, AND a bridesmaid. When he asked whether I had anything else going on, I just had to mention I was expecting my second and that I had a two year old at home. Elise said that's when his eyes started popping out of his head.

Oh, then, there was the part when he was filling out the forms and needed addresses. Mom and Elise and I are bent over the sample book looking at vest color options and he asks, innocently enough, "Are the bride and groom living together?" Mom's resounding "NO!!" could have been heard through the entire store! :) We tried to explain all at the same time - "Well, technically, no - " "But they are in the same house" "But their not living together" "you see - oh, never mind!" and so on. Very, very funny.

Well, that about sums it up! Curtiss and I laughed so hard reading that:) So if anyone else has to plan a wedding in eight weeks time with the bride and groom out of the country I could definitely recommend some people but they might not appreciate that:)
So I hope that you all forgive me for neglecting you, things should start slowing down now and I might have more time for posting. Yesterday Curtiss and I got out for a little while and walked down to the river that runs by the village here and stuck our feet in and spent three hours with each other without talking about the wedding! (exciting:) and today we went shopping for gifts to give to all the people who are making our wedding possible.

The Lord has been very good to us, he has shown in so many small ways that the date that we have is his date and he has allowed all the details to fall together at an amazing rate of speed. There is no doubt in my mind that we are in his will.
I would still ask for your prayers though as this is a major adjustment time for anyone who goes through it and my family and I are no exception, I have a nephew who has told me repeatedly that I couldn't ever get married because then I wouldn't be at Grandma and Grandpa's when he came to visit. and he is having a hard time with the thought and I think that he is an extreme case of what all of us might feel at some point or other. And I have been gone for the whole summer and when I get back I will move out for good less then a month after returning. Some hard but good things that we all have to go through. Well, I guess that this post is long enough, I don't want to bore all of you:) O I think you might all be interested in this piece of news,
Curtiss and I went back to the gypsy man today while we were in the city and I now have a ring that fits my ring finger! I'll send a picture sometime. Hope you are all doing as well as I am:)

9 comments:

Whitney said...

I liked your story about the salesman asking if you lived together. Daniel and I had a similar story that still makes me laugh. We both went to school together (and so technically had the same address). An old coworker saw that and assumed that I had moved in with him...it was really hard to explain and I was so red in the face! :-)

Seriously, though, I'm happy you have so much help. Family is awesome! If we can do anything, don't hesitate to ask.

Whitney
http://shutterbabe.wordpress.com/

Trina said...

It seems all very simple when you tell it, Joanna! I can't believe you were able to sum up the last week in a single post. I'm glad you took some time off, and you have been able to laugh. Things really are falling into place - enough that I took a bit of a day off today. I feel like I'm getting such great experience, but the best part is how delightful it is to work with such a great bride.
Thanks,
Trina

Anja said...

It was good to hear from you! I tell ya it sure is awesome the way things keep falling into place for you guys.
I thought about you last Sunday as we were singing the song How Great Is Our God, we were singing the chorus and I started to think about you and the last few months and it hit me HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD!

Elise said...

Wow! It seems like a month ago that that all happened! I can't believe how slowyly, yet, how quickly things are going. Maybe we can have a chat some time in which the wedding is not even brought up.... That might be a little hard! ;)

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I want to be supportive and all, but I think I will still use pencil when I write "Joanna and Curtiss' Wedding" on my calendar for Oct.11. I will switch to pen when the invitations are printed.

Anonymous said...

Wow I am in all amazement at how everything is falling into place!!!How awsome that you are getting married 2 months after your engagement.I wish we had done that 10 months was an awful long time to wait.I am so glad that their are so many people that you can count on to start things here for you. ( In all honesty did you have somethings figured out before you left?? ) Well send you lots of hugs and prayers that everything goes well!!

Olivia Joy said...

You certainly have an amazing team behind all this Joanna!!!!

Traci said...

Such fun indeed. I bet this will go down in history as one of Trina's most unique weddings, lol.

And that whole living together story cracks me up!

Rachel said...

my favorite part of the whole thing was when you said that you and curtiss went and hung out for three hours without talking about the wedding....oh my word! do i ever know what you're talking about!!!! lol glad everything is going so well....and that you have such an awesome team of wedding planners behind you!