Friday, May 15, 2009

A Quick Hello

Howdy from Bretea Romana Romania. I just had to share the wonderful, wonderful news.

Are you ready????

Ok, here goes.

We have FAST internet!!!!

Exciting isn't?

Well, I think it is.
Curtiss and I were so excited when we learned that fast internet was available in the village a few months ago. But knowing the way that things are here we didn't really hold our breath that it was completely true.
I mean what is fast? does that mean it is just faster than what we already had?
Which, by the way, took a good 2-5 minutes just to load a simple page
even longer if you wanted a few pictures to load.
A small video clip? forget it, it will just stutter it's way through if it does anything.
And don't forget that the connection might space out at any point and you have to start all over again.

Last summer I tried several times to have voice chat
(don't even bother with a webcam)
with my family and we got it to work a couple of times,
(that was after trying for an hour and a half)
and then it would die and we would have to try again or just give up and type everything.
(which isn't the easiest when you are trying to plan a wedding:)
Don't get me wrong, we were very thankful that we had any but that doesn't mean that we won't celebrate now that it is even better :)

Curtiss and I are like kids with a new toy,
we'll just smile at each other and say "did you see how fast that went???"
We can't wait to get on the computer.

Anyway, I thought you might all enjoy a small glimpse into some of the way of life here
I was thinking of having a special (maybe weekly) post called
"Picture My World"
where I would have a post about some aspect of life here that might interest all of you.
Whether it be some kind of food, what traveling is like or maybe what it's like to cook on a stove that has no temperature gauge.
What do you think? Would it interest you?
Let me know and I start working on it.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Hooray for fast internet!!! So looking forward to your picture a week! I think it will be awesome to see how life goes for you "across the pond"!

Elise said...

Hooray, hooray, hooray!!!!! I am doing a little dance can't you tell? ;) Oh, and I think Picture My World would be awesome!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great idea Joanna. I look forward to reading it. Maybe you could also introduce some of the people you are working with. You could do a picture and short bio on them.
Susan

Abbey said...

That is soo exciting about the fast internet!!!! And I think Picure My World is a wonderful idea!!!

Traci said...

Another great idea in my opinion!