Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Reason for the Season...

"And it came to pass in those days that a decree went out from Ceasar Augustus that all the world should be registered. This census first took place while Quirinius was governing Syria. So all went to be registered, everyone to his own city. Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judea, to the city of David, which is called Bethlehem, because he was of the house and lineage of David, to be registered with Mary, his betrothed wife, who was with child. So it was, that while they were there, the days were completed for her to be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped Him in swaddling cloths, and laid Him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn." Luke 2:1-7


I don't know about you but this story has been such a big part of my whole life, I don't remember the first time I heard about Mary and Joseph going to Bethlehem and Mary having baby Jesus and laying him in a manger. I don't know about you but sometimes when I hear of something so often you forget that it actually really happened and that these were real people who really lived through these things, and then there are the times when something would strike me about the story that I had never really thought about before, some part of it would just come alive and it would be so real to me. This year being pregnant has been bringing a whole new area of the story of Jesus' life alive for me, as I feel my baby move inside of me and the thrill that goes through me every single time it happens, I think about Mary and what she must have been feeling, and the fact that at some point in time she first felt Jesus move inside of her.
Have you ever tried to think of Jesus as a baby? One that wets his pants, cries because he is hungry and spits up after eating? Have you ever wondered what a perfect baby would be like? We all know what the perfect adult would be like, the Bible tells us that when we read about Jesus and what he did or didn't do while he was alive on this earth. But what was he like as a newborn? Can you imagine the absolute thrill that must have gone through Mary and Joseph the first time that he smiled? How about when he said his first word? Have you thought about that? the son of God, the maker of the universe, the one who said "Let there be light" had to learn how to talk. That just amazes me.

Let me encourage you to really think about what you are celebrating this December 25th,
Jesus, the son of God, creator of the universe and my (and I pray yours also) own personal savior came to this world as a little newborn baby.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

Trina said...

Yes, Christmas is extra meaningful this year

Elise said...

Wow! this gave me goose bumps! Thanks for sharing, and a very Merry Christmas to you too!