Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Apartment

  1. I thought that you might all enjoy a few tastes of Romania while I am here and I thought that the best place to start would be where I am staying. The Archers have bought an apartment in the only apartment building in town it is considered a three room apartment which means that it has three rooms plus a kitchen, bathroom and hallway. After being in their rented apartment last year in the city I can see how nice this one is. It has one more room then the one last year (which is good because that is where I am staying) and the kitchen is absolutely huge compared to the other. When you open the door and walk in you are standing in the hallway that connects the whole thing now this hallway is quite large being big enough to have the table and a cupboard sitting on the one side with enough room to get by them and into the rest of the apartment. As you walk down the hall on your right you will come upon the kitchen which is big enough to have more then two people working in it at the same time with out constantly pasting yourself up against the cupboards and walls to get by each other. It has cupboards and counters, a stove, refrigerator and even a microwave!!! The only thing that it doesn't have is hot water so when you do dishes you go into the bathroom (which we will come to later) and fill the dish pan and rinsing pan with hot water and then wash the dishes, rinse them in cold water in the sink and then put them into the hot rinse water before putting them into the dish drainer. Now let's continue down the hall way, next we come to the living room, which is also off the right hand side (this is also where Mr and Mrs Archer sleep on the pull out couch,Curtiss is also sleeping there on an air mattress while Dad is here since he is staying in Curtiss's room) The living room is quite a large room (using Romanian standards, pretty average American size) with an L shaped couch, a chair and a couple of decorative buffet type stands. The living room is also how you get to the balcony where you hang all of the clothes to dry (or watch wedding processions when they are taking the bride to get the groom at his home where he is hiding and all the guests have to try and find him) Now since the hallway is in an L shape and since we went into the living room on the right and the hallway heads to the left we can come straight out of the living room and continue down the hallway. Directly on the right is the bathroom where there is the washing machine and (now get really excited here) a shower with a curtain(!) that you can stand up in without having to hold onto the shower head to bath!!! Now we are getting to the end of the tour since we only have two rooms left. As we leave the bathroom and turn right out of the door so that we continue down the hallway Curtiss's room is on the right and that is where I am writing you from as that is where the computer is and then my room is at the very end of the hall and they have prepared a very nice place for me to live. I feel kind of bad that the Archers have given up an entire room just for me and they put a lot of effort into getting it ready for me. They painted the walls (it's one of the two that they have painted the only other one being the living room) a nice light yellow and they have decorated it with pink. They bought a bed and a wardrobe just so that I could use them and I have a nice little table in there that I can sit at and do what ever I need to. This post has gotten quite long and I hope that you will be able to understand it enough so that you have some idea where I am living. I have to go now as I have spent quite a bit of time in front of this screen and I need to go and be sociable. I hope you all are well and I look forward to hearing from all of you.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

OH MY WORD!!!!!!!! (can you tell I'm excited????) I am reading a post from Romania! How absolutely wonderful!!! It's so good to "hear" from you Joanna!!! Thanks for the tour...it was fantastic!! I can't wait to hear more and "experience" Romania in part with you...

Anonymous said...

Wow JoJo,(I bet it has been a while since someone has called you that)Everything sounds really exciting.You described everything so well that I feel like I can see everything.Is there an indoor potty too?Are you on ground level or up a story?Oh yeah and my family heard your Dad on FLN the other day and they said that it was really funny.I wish I wasn't at work so I could have heard it.Looking forward to hearing more.

Anonymous said...

JoJo, Thank you for that long, detailed, Jane Austin...(I think that is how you spell her name)...style tour of the apartment. It seems to have thrilled your female readers...but what about your male readers, like myself. It was a real struggle to make it to the end of your tour...I kept getting lost...uuuhhhh, where was I...?
oh yah...! Next time could you throw in some exciting action words. You know, keep things moving quickly throughout your tour. You could even throw in some noises. Please try not to get stuck on describing every piece of furniture and its color.
I am glad to hear you have made it there safely, and that you are being treated as the guest of honor.

P.S. Guess who wrote this

Joanna said...

Dear Anonymous, or if I could make a guess my one and only brother in law Josh. I'm sorry that you have such a hard time reading my posts. You don't have to you know and since this is a girls blog and since most of the readers are girls you are going to have to put up with girls posts. If you would like shortened versions then you will have to write me and I will send you something like this. yep we made it. I got a bed, a bathroom and food. we're all good.
;)

Joanna said...

Hey Stephanie! it's so good to hear from you! People still call me JoJo not as many as before but they are still out there;) Yes we have an indoor toilet (which we are very thankful for) and we are actually on the second floor but it is considered the first floor here. There are no apartments below us, just offices and stores.
In fact directly below my room is the biggest bar in town;)

Anonymous said...

wow i see cause you ike here and i hope you like the apartment:))gbu hug u



rachel>:D<